Tax Technician (Capital Assets Review)
Reference ID: RBC0006I
In EY Tax, you'll have the opportunity to help the world's leading multinational organizations meet complex tax obligations around the world. You'll get a unique glimpse deep inside a company's business and become a trusted advisor, working collaboratively on a team that influences major business decisions. Demand has made this a rapidly growing area, and the relationships we build here translate into big business in other areas, making this a true priority.
As a Tax Technician (Capital Assets Review), you will be a part of our CAR group is part of EY's national business tax incentive practice. CAR involves performing a detailed review and classification of client's major capital asset acquisition projects for tax purposes - the review includes costs related to facility construction, equipment and indirect costs such as engineering and architectural.
Your key responsibilities
As a Tax Technician, perform initial detailed costing analysis of client project costs - including construction, equipment, indirect costs (under supervision of senior CAR staff)
Skills and attributes for success
• Draft project overviews of client capital projects
• Prepare facility square footage area/room analysis
• Draft initial tax technical narratives to support asset classifications
• Draft CAR overview presentations for potential clients
• Assist with preparing CAR statements of work
• Prepare client information requests and other duties as required
To qualify for the role you must have
• Business degree or community college degree with focus on accounting
• Proficiency with MS Office tools - Excel, Word, PowerPoint
• Comfortable/enjoy working with, analysing, and reconciling numbers/costing information
• Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
• Ability to work in a team environment
• Good interpersonal skills - position requires interaction with internal EY staff as well as different client staff (finance, project management)
Ideally, you'll also have
• Work experience related to construction accounting, allocating/classifying asset or project costs for accounting or tax purposes
• Business writing experience - e.g. drafting a project overview or summary; e.g. drafting a client's process flow activities
• Exposure to capital cost allowance (tax depreciation) rules
• Commitment to learning re construction industry terminology, assets utilized in various industries, income tax asset classification rules, use of technology tools to streamline CAR processes
What we look for
We're interested in strong team players who support their colleagues in reaching their goals while also considering their own workload and development. We're looking for people with a genuine passion for tax, and the future of tax, and are inspired to help the world's leading multinational organizations meet complex tax obligations around the world. If you have the confidence to speak up and influence a team that affects big businesses worldwide, this role is for you.
What working at EY offers
At EY, our Total Rewards package supports our commitment to creating a leading people culture - built on high-performance teaming - where everyone can achieve their potential and contribute to building a better working world for our people, our clients and our communities. It's one of the many reasons we repeatedly win awards for being a great place to work.
We offer a competitive compensation package where you'll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package allows you decide which benefits are right for you and which ones help you create a solid foundation for your future. Our Total Rewards package includes a comprehensive medical, prescription drug and dental coverage, a defined contribution pension plan, a great vacation policy plus firm paid days that allow you to enjoy longer long weekends throughout the year, statutory holidays and paid personal days (based on province of residence), and a range of exciting programs and benefits designed to support your physical, financial and social well-being. Plus, we offer:
• Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues in the industry
• Learning opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
• The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that's right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we're using the finance products, expertise and systems we've developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. Recognized as one of Canada's top employers, EY continually strives to be a great place to work and with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we'll make our ambition to be the best employer by 2020 a reality.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Make your mark. Apply today.
EY is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
Posted: December 6, 2018
Closes: February 4, 2019