The AWS Transactional Services team is looking for a systems development engineer to join our energetic, fast-moving, and passionate team.
Join the Transactional Services team and help transform AWS.The AWS Transactional Services organization aspires to offer our customers a suite of foundational distributed systems that solve complex distributed systems problems at Amazon. Our systems serve as the source of truth of customer data.
We specialize in building high performance, highly available data systems that provide strong transactional guarantees at scale.
The Transactional Services team builds some of the most foundational distributed systems that underpin and power many of the large AWS services and several of the most critical components of the Amazon.com retail platform.
We believe in building diverse teams, fostering innovation and delivering outsized impact, while having fun!"
We have high standards for our computer systems as well as our employees. Our systems are highly secure, highly reliable, highly available, and must function at a massive scale. Our employees are smart, driven to serve customers, and fun to work with. Successful systems development engineers do much more than plug computers together and track changes. They are experts at the operating-system level; have hardware expertise; and are instrumental in building, deploying, operating, and scaling huge distributed systems that serve production workloads for AWS customers.
Key job responsibilities
We need a systems development engineer to help us scale quickly to new AWS Regions and to automate the build of our massive infrastructure using internal infrastructure-as-code technologies. As a systems development engineer working in AWS Transactional Services, you will work with a team of software development engineers to:
* Execute operational tasks in Production environments with safety checks
* Automate infrastructure setup for operating our stack across various AWS Regions.
* Automate test, release, and deployment processes.
* Drive operational excellence by building and tracking metrics to ensure high quality.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
* A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field, or experience equivalent to a Bachelor's degree based on three or more years of work experience for every one year of education
* Two or more years of professional experience as a systems engineer or in related occupations (systems administration, DevOps engineering, site reliability engineering, networking/automation, software/systems development)
* Scripting experience with at least one modern language such as Java, Python, Ruby, shell scripting, C++, or C#PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
* A Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field
* Experience operating large-scale, highly available systems or web services with a high degree of operational excellence
* Deep experience with the software development lifecycle
* A strong understanding of operating system internals, including network and storage subsystems
* A strong understanding of core networking concepts (such as transport protocols, routing protocols, load balancing) and technologies such as TCP/IP
* Experience setting up, maintaining, and automating the fleet management of production servers
* Experience with relational or nonrelational databases
* Experience with distributed systems architecture
* Excellent leadership, verbal, and written communication skills
* The ability to work well with people, and to be both highly motivated and motivating
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Law Enforcement and Security Quality Assurance