Requisition ID: 151165
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture. Global Wealth Management - SSI Supervision
This position is hybrid and based in Halifax, NS and will require working from the office 2-3 days a week. Purpose
Contributes to the overall success of the Centralized Compliance Department, Scotia Securities Inc. in Canada ensuring specific individual goals, plans, initiatives are executed / delivered in support of the team's business strategies and objectives. Ensures all activities conducted are in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures. Accountabilities
• Champions a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank
relationships, systems and knowledge.
o Conduct daily reviews as per SSI Branch Compliance Officer (BCO) policies to monitor compliance with KYC suitability and other rules respecting sales practices by reviewing
applications and order forms for suitability and completeness, and reviewing other supporting documentation, identification and reviewing trades processed for conformity
with customer investment objectives.
o Monitor customer mutual fund trade activities utilizing exceptions reports, with a focus on unusual/irregular activity and additional reviews such as excessive activity and other
reports as required.
o Follow-up on issues and ensure deficiencies are communicated effectively to the Registered Representatives/BCOs.
• Assist in the control, evaluation, and response to:
o Any serious irregular activity, such as fraud, kiting, money laundering or serious incidence of non-compliance.
o Negative trends and any known or perceived weaknesses in policies, practices, procedures, systems, or training which could lead to non-compliance.
• Provide support and guidance, regarding the SSI Tier 1 review, to mutual funds representatives within the distribution channels of Scotia Securities Inc.
• Recommend and monitor action plans to correct:
o Incidents of non-compliance (and prevent their reoccurrence)
o Weaknesses in policies, practices, procedures, systems and/or training.
• Understand how the Bank's risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
• Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
• Champions a high performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment; communicating vison/values/business strategy and managing succession and development planning for the team. Education / Experience
The Compliance Officer should possess the following:
• Must be licensed to sell mutual funds in Canada
• Must have an Undergraduate University Degree (preferably in business or accounting) &/or related work experience
• Must satisfy all Compliance expectations for the role, including completion of the Branch Compliance Officer (BCO) course
• Thorough knowledge of Branch Compliance Officer responsibilities, processes and guidelines
• Knowledge of SSI and Bank policies, procedures and manuals for the sale and distribution of mutual funds through the Bank's branches
• The ability to evaluate risk, to identify control weaknesses, to recommend actions, to follow-up and to report on non-compliance effectively.
• Initiative, and the ability to work efficiently and effectively in a fast-paced, team environment
• Effective communication skills both verbal and written are required.
• Strong organization and time management skills
• Working knowledge of Microsoft applications (including Word, Excel, and Power Point) and familiarity with the Internet.
Location(s): Canada : Nova Scotia : Halifax
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Compliance, Law, Risk Management, Technical Support, Investment Banking, Legal, Finance, Technology
Banking, Finance and Insurance Law Enforcement and Security