Alexa AI, the speech processing and personal assistant technology behind Amazon Echo, is seeking a Software Development Manager for our Data Experience organization. At Alexa's Secure AI Foundation (SAIF) Data, we build the data services that enable the fast, secure, and massive scale ML that delivers delightful Alexa interactions to users.
The Data Experience team enables Alexa machine learning scientists, software engineers and BI analysts to securely, easily, quickly and cost-efficiently access, transforms, and build models with data in the vast Alexa data lake. As a member of the Data Experience team, you play a critical role in delivering the life blood of AI - data - to the Alexa AI community to help tackle the most cutting edge conversational AI problems at the largest scale few places in the world can match.
The Data eXperience (DX) team, is responsible for our SAIF Data Development Kit, increasing the rate of experimentation by delivering services that enable our customers to optimize their data storage, preparation, and deep dive analysis at low latency access from training infrastructure with intelligent APIs and clients for running big data Spark and SQL jobs working with data from modeling environments. This enables communities of Modelers spanning product areas to collaborate efficiently through sharing and building upon each other's artifacts, to expand collective intelligence. The team owns our Data Preparation SDK, enabling Modelers to train on petabyte scale data sets in days instead of weeks, at a quarter of the prior cost, making frequent training and experimentation of enormous data sets feasible and cost effective, while also opening the door to experimentation with data sets orders of magnitude larger than previously possible.
In the SAIF Data organization, you will work in a highly collaborative and supportive environment across all stages of an agile software development lifecycle, including architecture design, development, documentation, testing, and operations. You will build ML services using AWS at huge scale found nowhere else. Your efforts will support the successful and well-loved Alexa powered products. Our combination of challenging technical problems, critical services, and a quickly growing organization will provide you with unique opportunities for career growth.
What you'll be doing:
- Deliver critical, large scale, high quality, and operable ML data enabling services that satisfy and delight the Alexa ML community and that have a substantive impact on the Alexa business.
- Manage a software development team with a business problem or strategy that may not yet be defined, leading with limited guidance, influencing other teams in related business and/or technical areas.
- Lead your team to invent and evolve solutions to complex and ambiguous technical problems, ensuring that they meet business and customer needs. Determine where to simplify, optimize, or extend solutions for the best outcomes. Drive resolution to architectural designs and deficiencies.
- Manage and mitigate long-term risks and make effective trade offs between long and short term needs, finding paths forward in difficult situations.
- Effectively hire, manage your employees' performance, coach, and promote. Evangelize Amazon's culture and leadership principles.
- Set strategic direction for your services and team, communicating effectively in large groups, one on one, and in writing.
- Establish and streamline development, test, and operational excellence best practices.
Your background and who you are:
- You have experience reliably delivering high-quality, distributed, testable, and scalable software. You are driven by delivering value to your customer.
- You love to work with teams that are always raising the bar. You believe that a team is strongest when it is diverse and includes multiple perspectives.
- You enjoy the challenges of highly technical problems that you define and solve in real time.
- You believe that there are multiple ways to solve a problem, each with different trade-offs. You don't typically think in terms of the "right" or "wrong" way to do something, but rather the most effective path given the current constraints.
- You are excited by the technical challenges of large scale service development from architectural design, to implementation, to operations.
- You put yourself into your customer's shoes and immerse yourself in the customer experience to understand how to serve them better.
- You've made mistakes in the past, have learned a lot from them, and apply these learnings regularly.
- You want to have an impact on a hugely successful and growing product that improves people's lives.
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Track record of building and delivering critical, large scale, 24x7 production services
- Experience developing cloud and distributed software services and an understanding of design for security, availability, and performance.
- Technically fearless, with a willingness and desire to tackle intrinsically hard problems, venturing beyond comfortable approaches when necessary. Ability to acquire expertise as needed, pioneer new spaces, and inspire others as to what's possible.
- Background in ML, Big Data, and/or data security.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services.
- Deep understanding of agile project management methodologies.
- Software engineering background writing, testing, maintaining, and operating production code.
- MBA or advanced degree in a technical field or equivalent experience.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming