- Be a part of a critical team responsible for delivering on Amazon's Climate Pledge; a commitment to be net-zero carbon across our business by 2040, 10 years ahead of the Paris Agreement.
- An opportunity to work on a set of problems at the intersection of Software engineering, Supply Chain Operations and Research Science
The Box team ensures that every delivery is a delightful experience for our customers and our fulfillment associates, by providing packaging recommendations for outbound shipments. The packaging selected for a shipment directly influences the approach for fulfillment to achieve customer promise, maintain customer experience, and drive efficiency. Finding optimality involves modeling tradeoffs between cartonization, packaging materials, process paths, packing, and carrier restrictions.
Core problems we are responsible for solving include:
- Finding solutions to the three-dimensional bin packing problem for thousands of items
- Building fault-tolerant systems that can process billions of requests per hour
- Building Machine Learning & Heuristic models to understand which of the millions of items Amazon sells can or cannot ship together
- Modeling the capacity and costs of different fulfillment options and regulations to understand FC network capacity.
- Working with leaders in Amazon Fulfillment Operations and developing innovation solutions for a multi-billion dollar business.
Key job responsibilities
As a Software Development Manager for the Box team, you will be responsible for driving the technical direction and architecture of this large, complex software system. You will manage a team of software engineers to develop highly available, business impacting services at the core of Amazon's fulfillment engine. You will also work closely with a diverse group of stakeholders from World-wide Operations, Finance, Fulfilled-By-Amazon, and internal technical teams to define business opportunities and then drive end-to-end solutions.
You will be empowered to think big, invent on behalf of our customers, independently make judgment calls to keep teams moving and find elegant solutions to hard problems. You will directly own the architecture, engineering quality and technical roadmap of the Box recommendation system. The world is changing fast and this is a dynamic role where you will be able to learn as much as you contribute.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Strong business judgment and record of making the right decisions
- Experience hiring and developing engineers
- Experience simplifying both processes and technical implementations
- Passion for insisting on high standards (to the point that most other people would think they are being unreasonable)
- Deep understanding of software engineering best practices
- Ability to write clearly and concisely
- Bachelor degree in a technical field or equivalent experience, MBA or advanced degree preferred
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming