Are you looking to work on the coolest technology while growing your career, in a group that cares about people just as much as products?
Amazon Aurora MySQL offers MySQL compatible relational database engine that combines the speed and availability of high-end commercial databases with the simplicity and cost-effectiveness of open source databases. We're are one of the fastest growing businesses within Amazon Web Services.
If you're an engineering manager who is looking to grow, come on board! We have one of the most senior teams in AWS - and our senior engineers are eager to brainstorm, mentor, and get software built together.
We make regular software releases, take care of our customers, and take care of our engineers. Aurora is the most advanced cloud database service out there, and we're proud to continuously raise the bar. We have challenging problems to solve in distributed systems, concurrency, petabyte scale OLTP storage systems and scale out cluster management. We intend to be the world's best and fastest database, built by an excellent team, all while having fun - come and join us on this journey!
We are looking for a Development Manager to help us take the service to the next level. To apply for this role, you should possess solid analytical, design and problem diagnosis skills. Expertise with high-performance systems or service design is a plus. You should be comfortable building and managing teams through all phases of software development. The ability to translate high-level technical requirements into executable project plans is essential. If this sounds like you, join us and help AWS continue to lead the cloud computing revolution.
What is in it for you?
- Huge impact: Work on a service that will be used, directly and indirectly, by millions of customers.
- Gratification: You will know you are solving problems most software developers don't yet know exist.
- Critical: Databases are cornerstones to many of our customers' applications.
- Ownership: you will quickly become responsible for key components of the service.
- Learn: If want to learn about challenges of large-scale fault tolerant systems in practice - this is an opportunity of a lifetime.
- Innovate: We learn from our customers and invent every day.
- Make history: AWS is the leader in a current industry wide revolution.
- Have fun: Surround yourself with engineers that like to solve complex problems, but also work in a fun environment.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
For more information about Aurora, please visit http://aws.amazon.com/rds/aurora.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- B.S / M.S / Ph.D. in Computer Science or related field, or exuivalent work experience
- 2+ yeas of software development management experience, including hiring and growing engineering teams
- 2+ years in providing technical leadership and project management for all aspects of the software development lifecycle and developing large-scale, multi-tiered distributed software systems using Java, C#, or C++ (or other mainstream language)
- Background developing database internals, distributed storage or distributed file systems preferred
- Experience in designing and building sophisticated fault-tolerant distributed systems
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- An advanced degree in computer science or engineering discipline.
Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming