Think big. The Consumer Reliability Engineering Disco (Distributed Systems Comprehension) team delivers open-source infrastructure software that enables automated instrumentation and augmentation for all services that make up Amazon. Teams leverage one-click solutions built on top of Disco to improve overall site availability and observability. Our software integrates existing with new telemetry and logging streams, supports all Amazon old and new development frameworks, and is foundational to multiple company-wide initiatives in the security, availability and observability spaces. Your contributions on this team will impact tens of thousands of services and hundreds of teams at Amazon, helping to automate repetitive tasks while improving developer experience.
As a SDE on the Disco team, you will design and build foundational software that enables context propagation and automated augmentation across every service at Amazon. You will partner with multiple teams to come up with novel ways to make our retail website more secure and available for Amazon customers. Your innovation will play a big role in how we detect anomalies, minimize blast radius of outages, and speed up recovery at scale. You will solve complex yet fun challenges by looking at the big picture while diving into the nitty-gritty. The open-source aspect of our software gives you a unique opportunity to contribute and benefit beyond Amazon, and interact with an open collaboration community while taking on new perspectives and considerations when developing features.
You will thrive if you love fast-paced, startup-like work environments focused on building systems from the ground up. You will be responsible for scoping and delivering projects end-to-end, defining metrics that matter, and anticipating customer and business needs. You will deliver results personally and by leading your peers, as well as collaborating with stakeholders and the open-source Disco community. Your strong communication skills will be showcased as you share your architectural visions and technical solutions with others. Your proven track record of designing and building distributed software solutions through an agile methodology enables you to get a fast start. Your ability to dive deep into a wide variety of problems and technologies will guide the right technical decisions for the Amazon products you support. Your familiarity with DevOps concepts will apply at large scale.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java (preferred), C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experiencePREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Excellent problem-solving skills and knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented design
• Experience building software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional engineering practices & best practices for the full life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Strong programming skills in Java and familiarity with aspect-oriented programming concepts
• Knowledge of interpreted language runtimes or compilers
• Experience in performance profiling and optimization of large-scale, distributed applications
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
• Track record for being detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to self-motivate and follow-through on projects
• Experience with Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) concepts and practices
Software and Programming