Compute Cloud (EC2) has changed the landscape for computing - from startups through the Fortune 500. This culture of innovation has permanently altered how individuals and business think about computing resources.
Now, we look to change the game AGAIN with a new and disruptive model of computing. We are hiring innovative engineers for AWS Outposts - a start-up like opportunity to build a new line of business, with new technologies, from the ground-up.
AWS Outposts are fully managed and configurable compute and storage racks built with AWS-designed hardware that you can use to operate a seamless hybrid cloud. AWS Outposts extend native AWS services to virtually any customer data center, co-location space, or on-premises facility.
We aim to hire engineers who will thrive in a collaborative and open environment, who aren't afraid to dive-deep to solve complex challenges, who want to build rock solid, 24x7, highly-secure, software at world-class scale and who obsess over customers.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members.
We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Key job responsibilities
- Lead feature development work on a team
- Participate and collaborate through all phases of the software development lifecycle (including test, debug, code reviews, design)
- operational responsibility for the services we own and develop
- Provide feedback and technical guidance to team members
A day in the life
- Writing code in a variety of languages and technologies, from AWS Lambda to scripting languages on bare metal where necessary.
- Writing detailed specifications and work break down documents for upcoming work
- Participation in standups, retrospectives, code reviews, design reviews, operational retrospectives.
About the team
Our team is focused on the ordering, billing, fulfillment and installation lifecycle of the Outposts family of products. We have an enthusiastic and supportive team that enjoys working on the product we build. This team gets a very unique view of our customers and product as we follow an Outpost from order, through setup to decommission. It's a great team to join to expand your career in modern web services, or to grow in the complexity of an industry leading managed service that brings AWS on-premise.
Our team is distributed between Seattle, Washington DC and Denver, if you are experienced working with remote teams or in person, you will fit right in!BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education
• 2+ years professional experience in software development
• Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as Java, Kotlin, Scala, etcPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
- Clear, professional communication skills. Able to contribute to team discussions, knowing when to contribute, when to listen, and when to ask questions.
- Experience developing in a Linux environment
- Familiarity and desire to program with modern languages, technologies and web services concepts
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming