Location: Halifax, Canada
In fast changing markets, customers worldwide rely on Thales. Thales is a business where brilliant people from all over the world come together to share ideas and inspire each other. In aerospace, transportation, defence, security and space, our architects design innovative solutions that make our tomorrow's possible.Position Summary
The Ship Maintenance Lead is the Thales Project Manager ensuring maintenance operations on the waterfront are executed in a timely and efficient manner. They manage and coordinate internal and external (Customer, suppliers, sub-contractors, partners etc.) dedicated teams by involving the following associated departments: Service Delivery, Engineering, Procurement etc. They direct the project activities (including those relating to risks & opportunities) to reach completion of each project regarding its technical, ﬁnancial, and customer satisfaction aspects.Essential Functions / Key Areas of Responsibility
- Leads the project planning activities of preparing, organizing and validating to ensure successful transition from project planning through to project launch;
- Executes, monitors and controls the project until its completion:
- Act as the primary point of contact for all stakeholders with respect to the maintenance execution function;
- Supervising (planning, organizing, leading and controlling) the Thales personnel and subcontractors to achieve agreed outcomes within their delegated authorities and responsibilities;
- Responsible for coordinating and conducting all required activities prior to the commencement of maintenance execution. This involves subcontractor kick off meetings, authorization of purchase requisitions and issue of purchase orders;
- Provide the appropriate direction, coaching, support and delegation to individual project team members and the whole team to enable them to achieve the work objectives;
- Oversee all maintenance execution activities for designated maintenance periods to ensure material readiness objectives for the platforms are being achieved;
- Prepare regular reports as required by the contract;
- Provide whole ship project management support to the Ship Maintenance Team Lead as required to meet the availability standard and to meet the Full Mission Capability under the ISS Contract;
- Report progress - daily, weekly and at the conclusion of Maintenance activities;
- Manage the conduct of maintenance and /or Ad-Hoc taskings during designated maintenance work periods within agreed scheduled time frames;
- Control investigation and rectification of operational defects (OPDEF) within agreed scheduled time frames;
- Report status of Operational Defects (OPDEF) that fall within his/her projects;
- Acts as the Operational Defects (OPDEF) Coordinator on cyclical basis;
- Assess warranty implications and financial claims;
- Review maintenance systems and support documentation for applicability;
- Verify and certify financial claims for payments made to subcontractors;
- Manage and coordinate the recording of planned and corrective maintenance data in THALES data management systems from initiation to close out;
- Manage and coordinate the collation and acceptance of objective quality evidence for planned and corrective maintenance for performance and data management and invoicing;
- Ensure that issues are resolved at the lowest level and are escalated for any issues relating to the maintenance period. Particularly shortcomings in operational availability and/or safety and must be alerted as they happen or are known;
- Manage and co-ordinate technical assistance and /or advice to Ship's Staff and other RCN personnel;
- Attend regular departmental meetings with manager to build and consolidate continuous feedback and improvement mechanisms;
- Provide positive and relative non KPI contribution and application towards continuous improvement;
- As requested, update Procedures and Templates for the Project;
- Ensure Maintenance activities are conducted IAW the Project Procedures;
- Prepare and deliver regular Lesson Learnt / Internal Wash-up Meetings to assigned Project Team members;
- Overall HSE Partner; and
- Undertake other project management duties as assigned;
- People Management
- Provides oversight and direction to a team of employees within the Service Delivery department in accordance with the organization's policies and procedures.
- Coach, mentor, and develop staff, including overseeing new employee onboarding and providing career development planning and opportunities.
- Leads employees to meet the organization's expectations for productivity, quality, continuous improvement, and goal accomplishment.
- Fosters a spirit of teamwork and unity among department members that allows for cohesiveness, support, and working effectively together enabling each employee and the department to succeed.
- Works with Human Resources staff to recruit, interview, select, hire, and employ an appropriate number of employees.
- Health, Safety & Environment
- Comply with and ensure compliance of others to all relevant HS&E legislative requirements, policies, procedures and framework with the intent of preventing or minimizing accidental exposures to self, colleagues, visitors and/or the environment.
- Promote Thales's Health, Safety and Environmental programs by demonstrating HS&E Leadership in a professional and supportive manner.
- Interact and work with management/employees to promote teamwork, by effectively communicating with all levels of staff via staff meetings, written communications and one-on-one communication.
- Five years' experience in Project Management or related field
- Experience working within or leading In Service Support Projects advantageous.
- Experience working within a defense environment with active defense force personnel is desirable.
- Experience in the supervision of teams undertaking maintenance activities.
- Strong computer literacy, with proven experience with Microsoft products especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint essential.
- Experience interfacing between various internal/external stakeholders
- Strong organizational skills and ability to balance multiple priorities. Experience within procurement, project management or warehouse environments desirable
- Experience with the Defense Resource Management Information System (DRMIS), or comparable document management system is advantageous
- Accreditation as a Certified Practicing Project Manager or equivalent advantageous
- Tertiary education in an Engineering or Business/Project Management related field is preferred.
Predominantly office (waterfront) based, but will also be required to work onboard Naval Vessels, or remotely (including from home).
Will be required to undertake inspections, including confined space entry, on Naval ships involving bending and twisting. Tasks may also requiring working at heights.Specific need:
- Requires direct or indirect access to hardware, software, technology or technical data controlled under the Canadian Export Control List, the ITAR or the EAR
- Requires a positive Controlled Goods assessment as you will have direct access to hardware, software, technology or technical data controlled under the Canadian Controlled Goods Program
- Required to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance at the NATO Secret Level
Thales is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. Thales is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the interview process. Applicants selected for an interview who require accommodation are asked to advise accordingly upon the invitation for an interview. We will work with you to meet your needs. All accommodation information provided will be treated as confidential and used only for the purpose of providing an accessible candidate experience.
Maintenance and Technicians