Do you enjoy solving challenging problems? Do you have extraordinary software engineering skills? Are you constantly looking for ways to improve your skills, your software, and your organization?
Our team is responsible for and growing an innovative, confidential, and global project that informs and effects larger company strategic decisions. We are working on a series of customer experience projects spanning apps and sites, projects that drive improvements to Amazon's technical customers' experience (including AWS customers), internal workflow automation, integration with third party systems, and applied data analytics. Our team owns wide range of technical stacks across various cloud offerings.
As an SDE, you will own, develop, and help run our customer-facing and backend systems. You will be largely self-directed and participate in a multi-discipline SCRUM team, and have a voice in all aspects of our business. You will work closely with the business to design and implement new features.
You will contribute to all aspects of an agile software development life cycle including design, architecture, development, documentation, testing and operations. You will push your design and architecture limits by owning all aspects of solutions end-to-end, through full stack software development
You will evaluate and make decisions around the use of new or existing technologies and tools, influence principal engineers, senior principal engineers, directors, VPs, and their technical teams to build the right systems for Amazon's customers and that can scale to the needs of the business.
You'll have an opportunity to learn from people with and without engineering backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring, document reviews (designs, PRFAQs, business plans, researches and more) and thorough and helpful code reviews.
You will be given the chance to have a significant impact on our systems, our business and most importantly, our customers.
You will be expected to mentor and guide junior engineers. You will engage with the open source community & Amazon users, listening to their feedback to improve the experience and helping to drive long term vision for Amazon.
*Mentorship & Career Growth*
We are dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth. You will work on projects and tasks that will develop your skills and enable you to take on increasingly complex tasks.
Our team puts a high value on work-live harmony. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. We generally keep core office hours from 10am to 4pm Pacific. About half of us come in earlier and the other half of us stay later.
*Inclusive Team Culture*
Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. We're looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with a diverse team of peers; someone who will help us amplify the positive & inclusive team culture we've been building.
This position can be based out of Vancouver, Canada; Toronto, Canada
Key job responsibilities
- Participate in the full development life-cycle, including design, development, and implementation
- Leading the design and development of code, tools, and scripts for one or more systems
- Handling escalations and day to day operations of one or more customer-facing or backend systems
- Innovating and improving processes to improve key business outputs
- Contributing technical findings/ideas/suggestions/researches that are reviewed by senior Amazon technical leaders
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to the other engineers on your team, be the stakeholder for quality across everything our team and org owns
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 2+ years of experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- 6+ years of non-internship professional software development experience with at least one modern language such as Python, Java, C++, or C#
- 4+ years of experience leading the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers to maintain architectural vision and software quality
- Master's degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related technical field
- 8+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- 5+ years of experience leading the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Working knowledge of cloud offerings
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming