Kinesis Data Streams works with petabytes of data every day to support mission-critical, real-time applications for thousands of customers. Large companies use Kinesis to ingest data from multiple sources in real time, analyze it, compute, and deliver insights as they happen to provide better experiences to their customers. They choose Kinesis Data Streams because it makes real-time ingestion, processing, and delivery of data easy and low cost. As a result of these benefits, customers of every size are moving quickly from batch to real-time processing. To support these innovations in real-time streaming, we are growing our team.
Amazon Kinesis Data Streams (KDS) is searching for a Senior Software Development Engineer to build the next generation of real-time streaming solutions. As a senior engineer in our team, you will drive the development of our next generation live-streaming platform, and delight our customers. You will design and be responsible for distributed system components that perform at large scale, and help improve their resiliency, scalability and maintainability. You will advise your peers, management and senior leadership on the product's technical capabilities, and collaborate on the long term strategy for our share of the business. You will mentor your junior team mates in their career development and their contributions to our systems and practices.
Key job responsibilities
- Solve complex computational problems all the way from design to operational support
- Design, write and release software at a large scale for customers worldwide
- Support systems in production and ensure their high availability and durability
- Collaborate with the team to evolve and innovate the product over time
- Advise leadership on technical concerns and support planning activities, influencing our long term strategy to delight customers
- Advocate for and support best practices for software development in the team
- Help your peers and other team mates on their career development goals
A day in the life
A Senior Software Development Engineer in the Kinesis Data Streams (KDS) is an owner of our platform, irrespective of components. They advocate for best practices, uphold the highest operational standards, and participate in planning activities to support leadership and help the team achieve its goals. Their day-to-day usually involves:
- Produce and review design proposals for complex software problems spanning cross the KDS platform
- Designing and building new features and maintaining existing ones across the system's various components
- Collaborate with peers to continuously improve our code, processes and team mechanisms
- Uphold the highest operational standards to ensure the best product experience and delight our customers
- Advise leadership and collaborate with principal engineers to ensure the team achieves its short and long term goals
- Support leadership in tactical and strategic planning activities in the Amazon business cycle
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 2+ years of experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Experience designing and developing large applications, tools, systems and services.
- Ability to work with ambiguous or undefined problems and think abstractly.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices.
- Experience with distributed systems and web services design and implementation.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming