The Corporate Finance Division Senior Relationship Manager (SRM) is accountable to directly generate sales with new clients (75 - 80%) and coordinate all CFD sales to existing and new clients (20 - 25%). This role will develop and execute a 1-2 year sales plan to significantly expand the Bank's market share and revenue base in the upper mid-market segment through the acquisition of profitable clients. The SRM is accountable to develop an effective internal and external network for successful opportunities and to co-ordinate the client relationship for further revenue generation.
He/She will provide high level sales coverage to the market for the Division's primary Senior Debt, Asset Based Lending, BMO Capital Corporation and Cash Management product lines as well as coverage for other BMO capabilities and will know the assigned Regional Market and remain current with short and medium-term business and economic trends and forecasts for key industries.
Primarily interfacing at the Chairman/CEO level, this role will apply effective and professional consultative sales and business development principles, practices and techniques to ensure the identification, negotiation, structuring and provision of the initial underwriting for unique, complex business transactions. The SRM will ensure credit decisions and recommendations are in accordance with sound credit-granting principles and ensure compliance with internal and external requirements and regulations. This role works collaboratively with the CFD product line roles to seamlessly transfer relationships when appropriate and support the product lines efforts to expand and/or re-structure portfolios of existing clients.
Note: CFD product lines are accountable for existing client relationship management and sales, as well as sales to new clients.
Business Delivery and Operational Effectiveness
• Develop, implement, review and revise short (3 - 12 months) and long term (1 - 2 year) rolling sales strategies and tactical plans, focusing on identifying profitable upper end mid-market business prospects and existing clients with complex needs and opportunities, to grow the Corporate Finance portfolio. • Act as subject matter expert providing market, industry and pipeline information to contribute to the District planning process, as appropriate. • Apply territory management, relationship selling and relationship expansion strategy and performance to current and potential Corporate Finance clients, ensuring comprehensive, holistic financial solutions. • Accompany and support the Regional Vice-President and Senior Account Manager as required, with client interactions, and relationship building. • Understand and adhere to credit granting policies relative to quality and verification of information, analysis, profitability and credit recommendations, executing sale of credit/non-credit products and services to corporate clients and prospects as defined. • Plan, implement and maintain an effective business development and community involvement strategy to expand and protect share of profitable corporate clients, utilizing an extensive network of referral resources.
Sales and Services
• Complete proactive, focused, profitable sales of Corporate Finance Division (exc. REF and Dealership Finance specialties) products and services, based on referrals/prospects, and knowledge of the regional and North American corporate marketplace to improve share of wallet and market share. • For new prospects, review and analyze financial statements, cash flow and working capital position, business plans, goals and objectives etc. all of which could be complex, developing suggestions and alternatives that meet or exceed the client's objectives. Prepare proposals, undertake negotiations with prospects, and complete internal negotiations relative to the sale of product and services. • Be highly visible in the marketplace to proactively, and with a long-term focus, develop an internal and external network of referral sources that effectively generates prospects for new business to maintain a consistent pipeline of prospective upper mid-market clients for future execution. This will include Commercial Account Managers, financial investors, financial professionals & consultants. • Lead the Deal Team throughout the prospect proposal phase facilitating the development of effective working relationships between the clients, .and appropriate CFD personnel. Transition the relationship management of new clients to the appropriate CFD personnel when appropriate. • Apply resourceful business development and relationship management skills, and sales/service principles, practices and techniques, to support the achievement of target level revenues through the sale of the full suite of customized commercial products and services. • Leverage technology and profitability tools to identify & refer sales opportunities, ensuring optimal effectiveness in the profitable delivery of Commercial products and services • Respond to questions and/or issues raised in the assigned portfolio, ensuring a high level of customer satisfaction
• Develop, implement, review and revise a 1 - 2 year Sales and Territory Development Plan, having appropriate involvement with Deal Teams for existing clients and key prospects, focusing on identifying corporate finance banking needs and opportunities which will result in meeting or exceeding revenue and service targets. • Work with the aligned District team and appropriate partners to contribute to the Corporate Finance & District planning processes, as needed. • Develop and co-ordinate individual relationship planning, implementation and review activities with key BMO Partner Groups (All Corporate Finance LOBs, Commercial Banking, IBG, PCG, etc.) identifying opportunities to ensure client's needs and expectations are profitably met and/or exceeded. Outline to the SAM and VP in the Relationship Development Plan, any significant risk or untoward factors that could impair the ongoing success of the client from information garnered in relationship and business generation activities. • Analyze pipelines and sales plans on an ongoing basis to identify opportunities and changes in the aligned portfolio and competitive regional market environment; develop an action plan and liaise with Vice President, Corporate Finance on any changes that may impact the Business Plan.
• Protect the Bank's assets and maintain portfolio quality by adhering to Commercial lending processes, policies & procedures, legal and ethical requirements and regulations, audit requirements, and established risk guidelines. Ensure all business is in conformity with Bank Policies and prescribed guidelines. • Follow processes that ensure accurate comprehensive investigation; analysis and due diligence is conducted in the documentation of acceptable transactions sourced for adjudication under the Commercial Lending Process. • Manage risk and minimize losses through monitoring and control reports, ensuring compliance requirements, audits, and verifications are completed in accordance with Bank Policies & Procedures and all legal, regulatory and ethical requirements. • Document and follow-up on any discrepancies to procedures, with significant operational risk and escalate as required. • Maintain up-to-date knowledge and understanding of products, processes, and relevant legal, regulatory and technology requirements through audits and quality checks, to ensure decisions are adequately documented, and clearly communicated. • Exercise individually held Commercial unilateral discretionary limits as well as any held prescribed approval discretionary limits (i.e. overdraft, credit applications), ensuring credit decisions and recommendations are in accordance with sound credit-granting principles and in compliance with the Bank's policies and related procedures (e.g. Lending Directives, Commercial Lending Policy etc.) completing analysis; confirming security valuations; completing and approving credit applications for authorizations under Commercial Lending Policy. • Adhere to Know Your Client Rules and Bank Policies & Procedures for the prevention of loss due to fraud, counterfeiting, money laundering, or defalcation; identify and report suspicious and other reportable transactions or patterns of activity that are suspected to be related to money launderi ng.
• University degree or equivalent commercial lending experience • 5 to 10 years of related work experience ideally in senior commercial lending environment • Formal training and demonstrable skills in credit analysis and deal making • Extensive business development experience • Outstanding experience in portfolio and relationship management • Experience in making effective client presentations • Strong communication skills, both written and verbal • In-depth business acumen, preferably for a wide array of industries • In-depth understanding of Commercial Products, Commercial Lending Process, Commercial Lending Directive, supporting processes and technology
• University degree or equivalent commercial lending experience • 5 to 10 years of related work experience ideally in senior commercial lending environment • Formal training and demonstrable skills in credit analysis and deal making • Extensive business development experience • Outstanding experience in portfolio and relationship management • Experience in making effective client presentations • Strong communication skills, both written and verbal • In-depth business acumen, preferably for a wide array of industries • In-depth understanding of Commercial Products, Commercial Lending Process, Commercial Lending Directive, supporting processes and technology We're here to help
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do - helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future-the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we're changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one - for yourself and our customers. We'll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we'll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other's differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.