If you're a software engineering leader who is looking to lead a team changing the rules for relational databases, we have one of the fastest growing services in AWS - and our senior engineers are eager to brainstorm, mentor, and get software built together. We build software, we patent new things, and we attend conferences around the world to learn even more.
Amazon is breaking new ground and changing the rules for relational Databases. Amazon Aurora is helping customers have enterprise security, performance, availability and durability, along with compatibility with open source PostgreSQL and MySQL.
Amazon Aurora is feverishly building exciting new features and always pushing new innovations for AWS. Our teams are distributed around the world and we are currently located in Seattle, the San Francisco Bay Area, Toronto, Vancouver, Boston, Sydney, Dublin and Bangalore. Not only do we have deep database and systems programming problems to solve for our customers, but we also minimize the effort required to maintain SQL databases by automating administrative tasks like backup / restore, scaling CPU / RAM / storage and replication / failover for high availability, upgrade and security, allowing our customers to spend their valuable time focused on building their businesses.
We have challenging problems to solve in distributed systems, concurrency, database internals, caching, query optimization, languages, and performance engineering while maintaining a secure managed service for our customers. We intend to be the world's best and fastest database, built by an excellent team, all while having fun - come join us on the journey!
We are looking for a seasoned senior technology leader to join our team and help us take lead on designing and building security solutions across our service. To apply for this role, you should possess solid analytical, design and problem diagnosis skills. Expertise with high-performance systems or service design is a plus. You should be comfortable building and managing teams through all phases of software development, including hiring and growing your own team of managers. You should pride yourself on bringing creative solutions to ambitious goals and ambiguous problems. If this sounds like you, come join us help AWS continue to lead the cloud computing revolution.
What is in it for you?
• Huge impact: Work on a service that will be used, directly and indirectly, by millions of customers.
• Gratification: You will know you are solving problems most software developers don't yet know exist.
• Critical: Databases are cornerstones to many of our customers' applications.
• Ownership: you will quickly become responsible for key components of the service.
• Learn: If want to learn about challenges of large-scale fault tolerant systems in practice - this is an opportunity of a life time.
• Innovate: We learn from our customers and invent every day.
• Make history: AWS is the leader in a current industry wide revolution.
• Have fun: Surround yourself with engineers that like to solve complex problems, but also work in a fun environment.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
For more information about Aurora, please visit http://aws.amazon.com/rds/aurora.
A day in the life
About the hiring group
• Manage overall software development life-cycle
• Leader of multiple software development teams
• Create, prioritize, communicate, manage, and execute roadmaps, project plans, and commitments
• Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
• Work closely with engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
• Foster culture of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
• Hire, coach, and mentor individuals; build a strong cross-functional organization
• Work with a diverse customer base to understand requirements, priorities, and processes
• Propose and implement new projects or recommend system improvements.
• Own all operational metrics and support
• Have the obsession to drive a better customer experience through everything that we do here at Amazon
• Bring innovative ideas to the table every day, in order to find better ways of accomplishing our customer objectives
• Set clear, measurable quality goals for an organization in a data-driven way
Personal traits not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
• Demonstrate excellent judgment, are right a lot
• Hire and develop the best people
• Able to dive deep and never out of touch with the details of the business
• Strong results orientated approach.
• Think big and have a bias for Action
• Deal well with ambiguityBASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• BS Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent experience
• Minimum of 10 years of software development experience, with at least 7 years managing a development teams and 2+ years managing managers
• Experience in Agile/SCRUM enterprise-scale software development
• Experience with more than one of Java, C/C++
• Experience leading teams designing and delivering systems level software.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Experience with Database software or service
• MS Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
Software and Programming