Job DescriptionPosition Objective:
To grow the MDA Halifax facility by (a) full accountability and management of successful program execution in Halifax and (b) strong participation in and support to Defence LoB business development to win new business for MDA and particularly for Halifax. General Description:
Part of MDA&rsquo s current strategy in Canada is to grow the size and capability of or Halifax facility. This role will provide the Halifax-based senior leadership necessary to succeed in this objective.
MDA has recently been successful in winning a number of key programs such as the NATO Triton program and others. In addition, we have bid other programs on the basis executing them in our Halifax facility. Based on all these, our Halifax facility is growing and will continue to grow significantly. The 5 year outlook has tremendous potential.
To support this strategy and the resulting growth, MDA has been and will continue to build a stronger team in Halifax. This role is a critical element of the stronger team.
As such, the Program Director in Halifax will have overall responsibility for managing the Halifax office by:
- Directly managing Program/Project Managers and their teams who are executing projects in the Halifax office
- Through the MDA operations organization and other relevant parts of the overall MDA/MAXAR organization, driving the needs and implementation of supporting functions such as IT, commercial services, accounting, facilities, etc. to enable successful project execution and
- Participating in and supporting Defence LoB BD activities including strategy, captures, bids, solutions, staff plans, cost competitiveness, etc.
- Being the senior MDA leader in the Halifax office and the &ldquo local external senior face&rdquo particularly in the local Halifax and Nova Scotia community in alignment with the rest of the MDA organization as it relates to more general interfaces to the external world.
Skills and Qualification: Mandatory
- Develop, lead and implement (with the rest of the Halifax management team) a strategy for attracting, retaining and developing staff in Halifax.
- Own the staffing strategy and plan to support the execution of current and planned projects in Halifax. This activity will be done closely with the LoB Director, Operations, HR and Engineering.
- On a day-to-day basis manage the Program/Project Managers in Halifax with a goal of making them and their projects successful.
- Review and manage the execution and financial performance of the projects in Halifax.
- Review and manage the Halifax facility budgets in conjunction with MDA operations.
- Drive the planning and implementation of support functions such as IT, accounting, contracts, etc.
- Directly own and lead the solutions for any hard issues that arise relating to the Halifax office.
- Participate in events and networking in the Halifax community to increase MDA&rsquo s profile and relationships.
- Contribute to the business strategy and to capture strategies for the Defence LoB.
- Provide resources and support for captures and bids for the Defence LoB that relate to the Halifax office.
- Support and review costings and solutions (primarily commercial and programmatic) for bids that are intended to be executed in the Halifax office.
- Interface with other parts of MDA and MAXAR on collaborative efforts that have the overall effect of growing MDA and MAXAR.
- Growth-oriented attitude
- Strong leadership of significant sized teams including building, sustaining and growing teams and the individuals that make up those teams.
- Strong collaboration skills
- Experience with strategic staff planning including recruiting and retention strategies.
- Experience with management of complex, multi-discipline projects larger than $5M in value.
- Strong experience with executing projects in highly disciplined manner on-time and on-budget including experience with financial and contractual management of projects.
- Strong communication skills &ndash internal and external, written and verbal including ability to confidently interface to external senior people (e.g. Government and political) and present/represent MDA in a strong manner.
- Experience and understanding of the Defence sector including ideally Canadian Defence and including both customer organizations and other industry.
Primary ActivitiesCandidate Profile
- Experience in participating in and supporting business development including leadership and experience with proposals.
- Experience with management of complex projects (ideally defence) that include different elements such as system engineering, software development, hardware development, subcontract management, in-service support, etc.
- Understanding of the Canadian Government procurement, contracting and project management processes
- Familiarity with standard Canadian Government contract terms and conditions
- Have a strong understanding, or preferably experience, of system engineering and software engineering and the development life cycles
Posted: August 15, 2018
Closes: September 29, 2018