Reference ID: 232643BR
Tell us your story. Don't go unnoticed. Explain why you're a winning candidate. Think "TD" if you crave meaningful work and embrace change like we do. We are a trusted North American leader that cares about people and inspires them to grow and move forward.
Stay current and competitive. Carve out a career for yourself. Grow with us. Here's our story: jobs.td.com
Reporting to the AVP Claims Litigation Services, legal counsel handles assigned property and casualty insurance legal matters, and represents TD Insurance or its policyholders in civil litigation involving claims for monetary damages or compensation for personal injury or property damage.
• Uses Litigation Protocols to develop and revise appropriate legal strategy for discovery, investigation, handling and trial/hearing of cases or matters; advises, communicates and develops those strategies with TD Insurance claims representatives and insured clients, as appropriate.
• Conducts necessary and appropriate discovery, hearings, trials, oral arguments, settlement negotiations, mediations, arbitrations and similar proceedings. Researches the law applicable to cases or matters. Drafts legal documents, pleadings, motions, legal factums and opinions as required.
• Advises, communicates and consults with Claims Representatives and Insured Clients, rendering clear, unambiguous legal opinions and advice. Personally meets with, and maintains good relations and communications with claims representatives and insured clients.
• Remains current with developments in the law; understands medical, scientific, construction, product liability, engineering issues and defences involved with such cases.
• Completion of law school with LLB or JD and admission to the Bar in Nova Scotia and/or New Brunswick.
• Minimum of 2 years post-call experience as a lawyer in Ontario.
• Background in insurance defence litigation, including personal injury (preferred), and/or general litigation experience.
• Knowledge of legal and court documents and procedures.
• Knowledge of standard office equipment and word processing.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively with insured clients, claims representatives, judges and tribunal members.
• Excellent legal drafting skills and eye for detail.
• Motivated self-starter with ability to work productively under pressure and deliver business results.
• Strong interpersonal & client service skills; professional and positive demeanour.
• Superior organization & priority setting skills, strong work ethic and ability to multi-task.
• Conceptual and creative problem solving skills
We wish to thank all applicants however, only successful candidates will be contacted for interviews.
At TD, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities in which we live and serve. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment/interview process (including alternate formats of materials, or accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Posted: February 22, 2019
Closes: April 23, 2019