Requisition ID: 162964
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture. Summary:
The primary responsibility of the Estate and Trust Advisor is to provide estate planning and trustee services to MD clients. Duties & Responsibilities:
- Review and assess with clients their individual and family estate planning needs, including financial and family issues.
- Advise clients on appropriate estate planning issues and techniques. Submit planning options to clients for consideration.
- Network and promote MDPT services to MDFM and clients to continue to grow and develop both the trust business and Wills appointments.
- Frequent travel within territory.
- Participate in in-house seminars and client group meetings outlining the value of estate planning and the solutions offered by MDPT. Network internally to develop relationships and ensure the value of all Estate and Trust services is well understood.
- Work in conjunction with the Financial Consultants and/or Designated Leads to assist in developing client understanding and education of estate planning issues. Help differentiate MDPT solutions from others.
- Liaise with external legal counsel to maintain a current roster of MD recommended Estate and Trust lawyers.
- Understand how Scotiabank's risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Actively pursue effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas in accordance with Scotiabank's Values, its Code of Conduct and the Global Sales Principles, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational, compliance, AML/ATF/sanctions and conduct risk.
- Champions a high-performance environment and contributes to an inclusive work environment.
- Implement estate plans including detailed information to client's legal counsel for preparation of new Will, Trust Deed and other documents. Review draft legal documents prior to execution by client to ensure client needs are met, and that MDPT will be able to administer the estate and/or trust.
- Conduct regular review of client's Will and estate plan to ensure plan is current with client circumstances/needs as well as relevant legislation and tax regulations.
- Facilitate handoff to Regional Trust Officer for Estate settlement where appropriate.
Inter vivos Trust Administration
- Meet with clients to complete documentation for account openings.
- Conduct periodic reviews with clients.
- Manage relationships with family members and others, as appropriate.
- Review and approve invoices and funding requests from beneficiaries.
- Identify matters requiring the exercise of trustee discretion, and participate in the discretionary decision process by gathering relevant client information and making recommendations to Discretionary Committee, as required.
- Participate in collaborative tax planning and execution of strategy with Senior Trust Officer / Trust Officer and Tax Officer to minimise income tax owing by trust or beneficiaries.
Core Team Responsibilities
Education & Experience:
- Participate in discovery meetings and work with Designated Leads and other advisors within the team to develop the client's annual service plan.
- Educate the team on the opportunities and benefits of MDPT's Estate and Trust services and the type of client who may benefit for the service.
- Team with other regional specialists to ensure the clients are receiving the optimal service for their circumstance.
- Participate in educating clients about MDs total value proposition.
- Always act in the best interest of the clients. Based on the MDFS client service segmentation model, provide the appropriate level of service and advice to clients and their families on all aspects of investments and financial planning.
- Support and execute (if applicable) the clients annual service plan.
- University Degree or Equivalent
- Law degree and/or accreditation from CSI Global Education Inc. (MTI-Personal Trust or equivalent)
- STEP designation an asset
- 7 years' experience in estate planning and /or estate and trust management optimal
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, taxes and government filing requirements regarding estates and trusts
- Strong client relationship management experience
- Detailed knowledge of trust systems and reporting
- Stewardship of the client experience
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills - able to deal with sensitive and difficult client situations in a gracious and professional manner
- Integrity and trust
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively within a team
- Proven networking, business development and sales skills
- Well organized, goal driven and action oriented
- Dynamic presentation/public speaking skills
- Ability to act as a change champion
Location(s): Canada : Nova Scotia : Halifax || Canada : New Brunswick : Moncton
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Compliance, Business Development, Investment Banking, Relationship Manager, Technical Support, Legal, Sales, Technology, Customer Service, Finance
Banking, Finance and Insurance Sales and Marketing