Swim Recruiting is very excited to represent Tiny to their candidate networks! Tiny has a long-term approach and has made many successful investments over the past decade. The company has a portfolio of operating companies that generate sizable cashflows and also manages a private equity fund.
Who- the Company:
Tiny is an investment platform that owns a portfolio of high quality businesses focused primarily in the technology sector. The company partners with founders and entrepreneurs to give them straightforward exits that protect their team and culture and keep their businesses operating for the long-term. Tiny company include MetaLab, Dribbble, WeCommerce etc. Recently, Tiny added AeroPress to its portfolio. You can read plenty more about Tiny’s team, values, and business philosophy at www.tinycapital.com
What- the Role:
Tiny is seeking a Director of Finance. This role is open due to an upcoming parental leave cover, and Tiny is looking for an employee for a contract term of October 2021 to January 2023. The Director of Finance will report directly into the CFO and will manage and mentor a close-knit team, including a Controller and Assistant Controller. This is a unique opportunity for a well-rounded, collaborative, and entrepreneurially-minded accounting & finance leader to gain concurrent experience in both private equity AND technology!
- Lead the head office financial reporting team, with a focus on holding company level reporting and consolidation.
- Oversee treasury operations for the consolidated group.
- Manage and oversee finance and compliance for holding companies and the private equity fund.
- Monitor cash flow and working capital for corporate group; review intercorporate management transactions.
- Provide support and oversight to portfolio company reporting teams and oversee financial reporting of contract accountants for smaller subsidiaries.
- Oversee the compilation and consolidation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Coordinate on tax compliance and structuring in collaboration with Partner, Tax.
- Coordinate and review debt compliance and correspond with new lenders as needed.
- Review accounting for M&A transactions, including purchase price allocation (PPA).
- Oversee HR, IT, and Payroll processes for head office as needed.
Projects & Initiatives
- Evaluate financial reporting systems and processes; recommend alternatives to improve reporting and consolidation processes (increased automation, dynamic data, etc.).
- Implement management reporting improvement and KPIs for operating company performance tracking.
- Implement head office KPIs for tracking investment performance and deployable capital.
Who- the Candidate:
We are seeking a well-rounded, collaborative, strategic, and entrepreneurially-minded accounting & finance leader who is very excited about Tiny’s business model and reputation.
- Canadian CPA designation, or international equivalent.
- At least 8 years of progressive accounting & finance experience.
- Industry experience is required. Training in public practice is highly preferred.
- Experience with implementing FP&A processes, financial reporting processes, and/or consolidation systems is an asset.
- Direct formal people management experience, with the ability to lead by example and effectively mentor, motivate, and coach a small team.
- Mergers & Acquisitions accounting experience, including post-acquisition integration, is a significant asset.
Competitive base salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications. Opportunity for a performance-based bonus at the end of the contract term. The company also provides generous health & dental benefits, a health spending account, fitness benefits, PD support, and a flexible paid time off program.
Remote. Tiny has employed a fully digital workforce since before the global pandemic hit! Most of the team lives and works on Vancouver Island or in Greater Vancouver, although some work elsewhere in BC or in other provinces. The preference is for the Director of Finance to live in or close to the Lower Mainland so they can participate in in-person meetings, team social events, etc. but excellent candidates in other locations across Canada will also be considered.
When & How to Apply:
Swim Recruiting has been engaged exclusively on this very important search. SWIM will present shortlisted candidates directly to the CFO for review, and selected candidates will have interviews with the hiring team throughout the month of September. We are aiming for the Director of Finance to start in early-to-mid-October. If you are keen on this opportunity and would like to discuss further, please reach out to your Recruitment Consultant at SWIM. If you do not yet have a contact at SWIM, please hit 'APPLY NOW' and send us your resume. Thank you!
Accounting Banking, Finance and Insurance